Saturday, May 14, 2011

It's The Little Things

I've been vacationing in San Diego for 3 days now. One of the more relaxing things I've been able to do this week is spend a little time each morning on my buddy's back porch, doing a little reading, sipping coffee and enjoying the sounds.

Clearly San Diego is known for its sunsets, not early morning sky-art. This is due to low air pressure over the bay and ocean water being unable to push the clouds out until the air warms up at midday. It's kind of funny because each morning I wake up thinking, "man, another gloomy day in sunny San Diego", then by noon you can't find a cloud and I can't figure out what happened, or where I left my sunscreen.

But the best part of these early morning coffee/book sessions is just "hearing". The house I'm staying in is located a few blocks from any "main" road, so while I do hear the occasional car, most of the sound I hear is coming from birds. Not long ago I couldn't hear birds anymore. I thought maybe they all just flew away or decided to shut up for good. It's funny that once you can't hear something anymore and then you get it back, it can go from an annoyance to something symphonic. This morning my CI-enabled Symphony consisted of:
  • Birds of at least 5 different varieties
  • Cars
  • Trucks
  • Motorcycles
  • Car Horns
  • Car Alarms
  • Trucks that need new mufflers
  • Owls
  • Whisping Winds
  • and Airplanes
Screaming loud Airplanes. I live close to an airport at home, which helps make it a little less of an adaption, but THIS couldn't be much closer:
 And yes, it really does get sunny in San Diego. Can you spot the clouds?

So for a few more days I get to kick back and enjoy a multitude of sounds I thought were lost forever. 6 months ago my outlook on life was in line with the first picture, today, it's the latter.