Friday, May 27, 2011

What The Heck Is Osteogenesis Imperfecta?

Back in my first post I mentioned a condition called Osteogenesis Imperfecta. Many years back, one of my ENT doctors suggested I might have a mild case of this causing my hearing loss, frequent broken bones as a child, and explaining the blueish tint to my sclera. More recently, my CI surgeon recommended I meet with a doctor who diagnoses this condition. That appointment was today.

Just by looking at my major joints the doctor ruled out any chance of this being a serious case, in which babies can actually break bones at birth. My breaks were more sports related as a child, which is to be expected as the middle of 3 boys, though they were frequent fractures sometimes without much force. The doctor did note my blue sclera and commented that it would be great if some of the medical students at this hospital had a chance to see my case (always love being the anomaly).

So I had the always-joyous privilege of completing a blood-work order as well as a bone density test which I will get results from soon. I also scheduled a follow-up at which they will do some gene testing to see the possibility of this being passed on some day. To be honest, this is something that's been pressing in the back of my mind for some time now so it will be nice to know at least. With all of the emotions and experiences I've been through with my hearing loss, I can't imagine ever passing it on to a child. But if that day did come, at least I now know first hand the capabilities of CIs, and I tell you from the bottom of my heart: these suckers are awesome!

For now I'm waiting on some test results which at worst looks to be a very mild case of Osteo-Imp. Sometimes this condition can worsen later on as an adult which is why it's important for me to start looking into it now. Probably won't hurt to up my Calcium/Vitamin D intake in the meantime...that is, up it from zero.

Whenever I get consumed by this bone condition I appear to have, I'm always reminded of a verse in Proverbs:
Proverbs 3:8
"Then you will have healing for your body and strength for your bones."

I'll post updates on this as I receive them.